www.nycsubway.org

Re: Where Do You Say You Live? (217644)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Howard Fein on Fri May 4 16:29:21 2001, in response to Re: Where Do You Say You Live?,
posted by Paul Matus on Fri May 4 15:15:09 2001.

A co-worker who lives at P & East 13th claims it's in Sheepshead Bay. I think that's Midwood, and that Sheepshead starts below Avenue S. Some call the area between P and S between McDonald and Nostrand 'Kings Highway'.

While Midwood is a very old name, it's come to symbolize where people who think they're too 'good' to live in Flatbush say they live instead. Kensington's taken on a similar meaning.

As for me, I say "Flushing". That's good enough for most non-Queensites. Those familiar with the area know there are many subareas of Flushing: Queensborough Hill, Kew Garden Hills, Broadway, Murray Hill, Auburndale, Flushing Suburban, Hillcrest, Cunningham Park North. Then I say "Mitchell Gardens, off Union Street." If that doesn't do it, I say "Pathmark".

I grew up in Whitestone, but very close to the confluence of that locality, Flushing and Bayside. Some reference books say Whitestone is completely north of the Cross Island between the Whitestone and Throgs Neck Bridges, and anything south of the parkway is Flushing.

To further clarify, I'd say by the McDonald's on Francis Lewis. Every nighttime drag racer in the metropolitan area seemed to know that one.

Bayside has

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.